Article delegate-en/577 of [1-5169] on the server localhost:119
Newsgroups: mail-lists.delegate-en

[DeleGate-En] Re: username and password in url
07 Sep 1999 21:53:05 GMT ysato@etl.go.jp (Yutaka Sato)

On 09/07/99(21:58) you "David Barber" <p7iaqbdyi-aipdtq6n4ffr.ml@ml.delegate.org> wrote
in <_A576@delegate-en.ML_>
 |I wonder if anyone can help me figure out how to mount and/or filter a site
 |that I am having problems with.  When first contacted, the site returns a
 |Location redirect.  The url given is in a form like
 |http://username:password@server../login .  If I just use delegate as a
 |proxy, the remote browser responds to the url properly and at the
 |appropriate time it uses the username and password to do a
 |basic-authentication with the remote server.

I'm curious where and who does this translation, from "username:password"
in request URL to the one in Authorization header of request message
to server.

 |However, when I mount
 |www.server.com as /server the browser does not respond appropriately to the
 |remote server and the user is shown a prompt with a username and password.
 |I am at a loss as to how to where the problem is and how to filter the

I suppose that the problem is caused because DeleGate does not insert
"username:password@" into URL in Location header in response message
to client.
But I suppose this problem should occur regardless of usage of MOUNT...

 |If you have any ideas or suggestions, please let me know.  Even if you do
 |not know what the solution is, it might help if you can tell me how to write
 |a filter that logs the complete communication between the client and the
 |server using ftocl and fromsv.  If I can do this, it might shed some light
 |on what the browser or server are sending and when.

On Unix, you can use "tee" command which simply writes out the content
of communication it relaying to an arbitrary file.
DeleGate has a built-in filter "-tee" which acts like "tee" command, but
with some original options including "-n" (with line number), "-h"
(header only).  Without given file name, "-tee" writes out to standard
output, thus for example, the following will dump what is sent to server
and client onto your terminal:

  % delegated -v FTOSV="-tee-n" FTOCL="-tee-n-h" ...