Article delegate-en/4544 of [1-5169] on the server localhost:119
Newsgroups: mail-lists.delegate-en

[DeleGate-En] Re: ftp mount and virtual names bound to one IP-address
11 Aug 2009 14:57:05 GMT feedback@delegate.org (Yutaka Sato)

you Jens-Erik Hansen <puicqbdyi-h5qfbm2muj3r.ml@ml.delegate.org> wrote:
 |BTW:
 |I made an interesting observation with wu-ftp (maybe others too): the
 |ftpd listens on a machine (ftp-master.foo.org) with multiple hostnames
 |pointing to one ip address. If you connect to the machine e.g.
 |ftp1.foo.org the ftpd responds with:
 |220-
 |220-Welcome,
 |220 ftp-master.foo.org FTP server (Version wu-2.6.2(1) Sat Jul 19
 |16:21:30 UTC 2008) ready.
 |Name (ftp1.foo.org:username):
 |
 |If you connect to ftp2.foo.org (just another name for the same ip)
 |wu-ftpd responds with:
 |220-
 |220-Welcome,
 |220 ftp-master.foo.org FTP server (Version wu-2.6.2(1) Sat Jul 19
 |16:21:30 UTC 2008) ready.
 |Name (ftp2.foo.org:username):
 |
 |As I said I'm not an ftp expert - I just like to ask a question: you see
 |the ftpd responds with the servername you used to connect to the
 |machine, this means that the servername is transferred to the ftpd
 |somehow. Could this be a way to accomplish switching host by a virtual
 |server name?

The response of the ftpd is "220 ftp-master.foo.org" regardress of
how you called it.  "Name (ftpX.foo.org:)" is the local echo by
the FTP client.  You will be able to test it with a server of other
protocols (for example of SMTP) as this:-p

  % ftp ftpX.foo.org 25

 |My understanding of ftp also is that it does not support name based
 |virtual hosts. On the other hand I'm far from beeing an ftp expert - I
 |just thought you found  a way to do it.
 |Multiple ip addresses is not an option in my case, I think about the
 |ssl/tls variant you suggested.

It will be realized with a MountOption as "sni=hostname" instread of
"nvhost=hostname".