Article delegate-en/4543 of [1-5169] on the server localhost:119
Newsgroups: mail-lists.delegate-en

[DeleGate-En] Re: ftp mount and virtual names bound to one IP-address
11 Aug 2009 11:41:15 GMT Jens-Erik Hansen <puicqbdyi-b7qnorlz2whr.ml@ml.delegate.org>

Hello Yutaka,

thank you for your quick reply.
My understanding of ftp also is that it does not support name based
virtual hosts. On the other hand I'm far from beeing an ftp expert - I
just thought you found  a way to do it.
Multiple ip addresses is not an option in my case, I think about the
ssl/tls variant you suggested.

BTW:
I made an interesting observation with wu-ftp (maybe others too): the
ftpd listens on a machine (ftp-master.foo.org) with multiple hostnames
pointing to one ip address. If you connect to the machine e.g.
ftp1.foo.org the ftpd responds with:
220-
220-Welcome,
220 ftp-master.foo.org FTP server (Version wu-2.6.2(1) Sat Jul 19
16:21:30 UTC 2008) ready.
Name (ftp1.foo.org:username):

If you connect to ftp2.foo.org (just another name for the same ip)
wu-ftpd responds with:
220-
220-Welcome,
220 ftp-master.foo.org FTP server (Version wu-2.6.2(1) Sat Jul 19
16:21:30 UTC 2008) ready.
Name (ftp2.foo.org:username):

As I said I'm not an ftp expert - I just like to ask a question: you see
the ftpd responds with the servername you used to connect to the
machine, this means that the servername is transferred to the ftpd
somehow. Could this be a way to accomplish switching host by a virtual
server name?

Greetings
Jens