Article delegate-en/452 of [1-5169] on the server localhost:119
Newsgroups: mail-lists.delegate-en

[DeleGate-En] Re: Limiting FTP cache disk usage
19 May 1999 06:23:52 GMT ysato@etl.go.jp (Yutaka Sato)

On 04/22/99(15:31) you Louis Mandelstam <pweaqbdyi-6cvkctgaurnr.ml@ml.delegate.org> wrote
in <_A434@delegate-en.ML_>
 |I need to be able to specify a maximum amount of disk space that will be
 |occupied by the FTP cache.  EXPIRE doesn't seem to be suitable, and a cron
 |job of my own would still not be ideal.
 |
 |Is there some way to tell delegated to remove files, starting with the
 |oldest (or some other sensible rule) when the disk utilization grows
 |beyond a limit?  A soft and hard limit would be perfect.

The cache mechanism of DeleGate is very primitive and limiting the
maximum volume for cache is not supported.  What is supported is
just expiring old caches periodically:

<URL:http://wall.etl.go.jp/delegate/tutorial/>
>Minumum instruction
>c. The validity and custody of cached data can be controlled using
>EXPIRE and CRON parameters.
>
>   EXPIRE=1d CRON="0 * * * * -expire 2d"

I think limiting the maximum volume of cache without support by
operating system is not so simple, and can be inefficient, and
it may crash on abnormal terminations of the host machine.
It can be achieved using "quota" on Unix, or dividing a disk
and devote a partition to DeleGate...