Article delegate-en/451 of [1-5169] on the server localhost:119
Newsgroups: mail-lists.delegate-en

[DeleGate-En] Re: Problems with DeleGate 5.9.1 + FreeBSD 2.2.8-STABLE + SSLway "CANNOT FORK"
19 May 1999 05:33:09 GMT ysato@etl.go.jp (Yutaka Sato)

On 05/14/99(18:26) you pxmaqbdyi-gdzs2fop46nr.ml@ml.delegate.org wrote
in <_A446@delegate-en.ML_>
 |I am writing to ask your help with problems with DeleGate 5.9.1 on a
 |moderately loaded FreeBSD 2.2.8-STABLE proxy server.
 |The problem is that either SSL connections fail or don't transport any data.
 |The top program shows the server CPU idle more than 80% of the time. There
 |doesn't appear to be a shortage of real or virtual memory.
 |Here are the delegate log messages :-
 |
 |05/14 13:56:47.61 [25024] 443+0: disconnected [17] -@[203.32.183.226]retina.oznetcity.com.au:2390 (0.796s)(0)
 |05/14 13:56:48.81 [25024] 443+0: CFI process remaining (1/1)
 |05/14 13:56:49.87 [2874] 444+0: CANNOT FORK
 |05/14 14:01:05.37 [2874] 455+0: CANNOT FORK
 |05/14 14:01:15.41 [25236] 456+0: -- Fork(OnetimeServer): 2874 -> 25236
 |05/14 14:01:15.66 [25236] 456+0: (0) accepted [17] -@[202.14.186.30]Pericles.IPAustralia.gov.au:3858 (0.252s)(1)
 |When other CPU and memory intensive processing was stopped (squid),
 |the DeleGate started to perform better. I am not aware of any failures
 |since stopping squid. Starting squid again seemed also to not impact
 |DeleGate.

If you are running DeleGate and Squid and others under the same user id,
the number of processes belong to the user might exceed the soft limit
on the maximum number of processes per user.  If it is the case, you
should increase the limit by "limit maxproc 256" or so.

FreeBSD% man fork
>ERRORS
>     Fork() will fail and no child process will be created if:
>
>     [EAGAIN]  The system-imposed limit on the total number of processes under
>               execution would be exceeded.  The limit is given by the
>               sysctl(3) MIB variable KERN_MAXPROC. (The limit is actually one
>               less than this except for the super user).
>
>     [EAGAIN]  The user is not the super user, and the system-imposed limit on
>               the total number of processes under execution by a single user
>               would be exceeded.  The limit is given by the sysctl(3) MIB
>               variable KERN_MAXPROCPERUID.
>
>     [EAGAIN]  The user is not the super user, and the soft resource limit
>               corresponding to the resource parameter RLIMIT_NOFILE would be
>               exceeded (see getrlimit(2)).
>
>     [ENOMEM]  There is insufficient swap space for the new process.

FreeBSD% man getrlimit

>     RLIMIT_NPROC    The maximum number of simultaneous processes for this us-
>                     er id.
FreeBSD% limit