Article delegate-en/4229 of [1-5169] on the server localhost:119
Newsgroups: mail-lists.delegate-en

[DeleGate-En] Re: Connection close on HTTP POST
25 Nov 2008 21:49:58 GMT feedback@delegate.org (Yutaka Sato)

you "Riaan de Reuck" <pqqiabdyi-vss2yssbvj3r.ml@ml.delegate.org> wrote:
 |Need your assistance with Delegate 9.8.4 configuration.  We can set persistent HTTP connections using the various timeout settings, but this does not seem to apply to HTTP POST messages.  In the 200 OK for a particular POST session, Delegate inserts a Connection : Close, although the Server intends the session to remain open.  Is there a particular configuration setting that needs to be done so that Delegate does not insert the Close in the return 200 OK for a POST message?  We are using HTTP version 1.1.

It has been as so since 3.0.46 (Aug.1996) in which HTTP Keep-Alive is
introduced into DeleGate.
First of all, you should not expect that HTTP Keep-Alive makes a connection
really persistent.

  [RFC2068] HTTP/1.1
  8 Connections
  8.1 Persistent Connections
  8.1.4 Practical Considerations
     Servers will usually have some time-out value beyond which they will
     no longer maintain an inactive connection. Proxy servers might make
     this a higher value since it is likely that the client will be making
     more connections through the same server. The use of persistent
     connections places no requirements on the length of this time-out for
     either the client or the server.
     A client, server, or proxy MAY close the transport connection at any
     time. For example, a client MAY have started to send a new request at

This Keep-Alive mechanism is useful to improve performance but could
be a source of troubles.  So DeleGate closes Keep-Alive on many situation.
As for the POST method, in general, doing it in persistent does not
contribute to performance so much while it have possibility to make HTTP
communication broken or frozen.

It is not difficult to add a switch to DeleGate to make Keep-Alive to be
used more persistently.  But to use a connection persistently with
DeleGate, you are recommended to use mechanism designed for it as HTMUX
or SockMux.