Article delegate-en/3768 of [1-5169] on the server localhost:119
Newsgroups: mail-lists.delegate-en

[DeleGate-En] Re: minimum neccessary libs
18 Jun 2007 21:32:06 GMT "Joe Moore" <pvyhabdyi-c2jtqbci66vr.ml@ml.delegate.org>

Yutaka,

You are correct. The VMware "BIOS" will not boot from a USB device. You
could however write a bootable image to a USB flash drive from a VM and
then boot any PC that supports USB boot devices from that flash drive.
That is how I'm testing my minibsd flash images. Some minor editing of
the network config might be needed but I'm booting a laptop with the
same flash drive that I'll be booting my appliance from.

I still hope to come up with a vmware image. I'll try to boot from a
FreeBSD install CD and hopefully partition and slice the VM disk, mount
the flash disk and pipe a dump of the flash to a restore on the VM disk.
I'll let you know how it goes. I only have "/" on the flash drive
(mounted read-only). Both "/var" and "/tmp" are ramdisks.

BTW... I got delegated with SSL running on minibsd today. I had versions
of libz, libcrypto and libssl on the flash but I needed to create links
to them with names that delegated was looking for, e.g. I had
"libz.so.3" but until I created a link called "libz.so" delegated
wouldn't find it. I'm now using 21 MB of my 32 MB compact flash.

Also... I examined delegated/sslway logs and it appears to be looking in
different places for the "server-cert.pem" and "server-key.pem" each
time I start it up. It has reported not finding them in "/", "/root",
and "/var/spool/nobody". Where is the best place for these files once I
generate "real" certs for my boxes?

		TIA    ...jgm