Article delegate-en/3022 of [1-5169] on the server localhost:119
Newsgroups: mail-lists.delegate-en

[DeleGate-En] Re: Problem with a cookie-based site...
11 Jul 2005 00:41:32 GMT feedback@delegate.org (Yutaka Sato)
The DeleGate Project

On 06/10/05(03:37) you "Justin Grewe" <Justin_Grewe@berea..> wrote
in <_A2977@delegate-en.ML_>
 |Im trying to connect through delegate with a cookie based site, here is
 |the command I am using to start delegate:
 |
 |delegate -f -v -P81 PROXY=proxy.berea.edu:8080 ADMIN="admin@berea.."
 |MOUNT="/http/* http://*"
 |
 |I have also tried the RELAY=proxy,delegate method to get to this site
 |without success.  Here is the page:
 |
 |http://infotrac.galegroup.com/itweb/berea?id=berea&db=BioRC&ccheck=1.
 |
 |I have also just tried to use http://infotrac.galegroup.com
 |
 |Without success.
 |
 |I have looked on your support and manuals, and have found someone ask
 |the same question as I, dealing with the New York Times website and not
 |being able to connect with delegate because of the site's cookie
 |feature.  However, everything that was suggested to that guy, I have
 |tried without success.

First, I tested it with DeleGate and URL as:

  http://myhost:9999/-_-http://infotrac.galegroup.com/itweb/berea?id=berea&db=BioRC

It failed in the page saying that Cookie must be enabled.
So I retried it as this (referring the DeleGate's host with FQDN):

  http://myhost.localdomain:9999/-_-http://infotrac.galegroup.com/itweb/berea?id=berea&db=BioRC

Then I saw (maybe) a successful page.

With parameters for debugging, FCL=-tee-n-h FSV=-tee-n-h, you can see how
a (Set-)Cookie is rewritten from its original form in a response message
from a server to the one forwarded to client after it is rewritten by
DeleGate.  In this case, the original Cookie is like this:

  Set-Cookie: name=value; path=/; domain=.host.dom

And it is rewritten by DeleGate like this:

  Set-Cookie: name=value; path=/-_-http://host.dom/; domain=myhost

The problem is that the domain "myhost" does not include "." character
which is necessary to be acceptable by a browser (Firefox) as a legal
Cookie.   And to be compliant with RFC2109, it must start with "." ...