Article delegate-en/3018 of [1-5169] on the server localhost:119
Newsgroups: mail-lists.delegate-en

[DeleGate-En] Re: Authenticating IMAP access
10 Jul 2005 18:33:32 GMT Peter Kaldis <pw4fqbdyi-6cfuxbr4gb3r.ml@ml.delegate.org>

Yutaka Sato wrote:
> On 07/06/05(22:31) you Peter Kaldis <pkaldis@pixar..> wrote
> in <_A2999@delegate-en.ML_>
>  |Hi there. I'm running delegate v9.0.2 on a RH Linux v8 machine sitting
>  |outside our firewall and its serving as a secure IMAP proxy. I would like
>  |to control who has access to this service by using some sort of simple auth
>  |mechanism like PAM and the local passwd file on the machine, or something
>  |similar like a dedicated config file of usernames/passwds.
>
> Does not the IMAP server have a auth mechanism ?
>
> Cheers,
> Yutaka

Hi Yutaka, thanks for the response. You are right, the IMAP server can
authenticate, however I'm trying to restrict the service at the proxy
level, so that not everyone who can access it internally can also access
it from the outside. A second gateway if you will, that restricts access
to only a select few individuals.

I've looked at the AUTH and AUTHORIZER arguments, but they only work with
specific protocols, and they don't appear to support IMAP. Is there any
other way I could add another level of authentication to IMAP through the
delegate server?