Article delegate-en/2971 of [1-5169] on the server localhost:119

Newsgroups: mail-lists.delegate-en

[DeleGate-En] Way over my head - any reference for 'noobs'?
06 Jun 2005 02:42:45 GMT "J. Brian Kelley" <ptmfqbdyi-bfkmicg4n63r.ml@ml.delegate.org>

I have no doubt that for those with extensive background, the manual is
a gem of precise clarity, but, for the poor Windows dabbler, it might as
well have been written in Sanskrit. The tutorial is regrettably far too
brief and still beyond my meager understanding.

I suspect that if there were a guide for the Linux-challenged, this
fantastic opus would be a world-renowned work. So, is there any
reference/guide outside of searching through all these posts?

For those who (for whatever masochistic reason) would like to apprise
themselves of the reason for this request, the following is the background:

There is a Internet anonymizer system by the name of TOR (a 'onion'
router project). It interfaces with one's computer by presenting a
localhost SOCKS proxy (default port 9050). Although many browsers will
link to a SOCKS interface (either SOCKS4 or SOCKS5), they do not
recognize SOCKS4a, where the DNS lookup is done through the system from
the far end of the TOR chain. The result is that the browser 'leaks'
your identity/intent by directly calling for URL resolution.

The current 'workaround' is to use a web-filter (http) local proxy
called PRIVOXY as the browser will then surrender DNS lookup to the
proxy. As well as providing all sorts of 'cleanup' of HTML traffic (no
more pop-ups etc), PRIVOXY also acts as a SOCKS transformer between the
browser HTTP and TOR's SOCKS4a. But PRIVOXY cannot handle HTTPS. There
is another web-filter local proxy, by the name of PROXOMITRON (sadly,
its author has died, but it is so robust and has such a following that
it continues to be fervently supported with new filters being submitted
by its devotees). So, one can chain the browser to PROXOMITRON (for
HTTPS as well as HTTP filtering), then chain to PRIVOXY to translate to
SOCKS4a.

Now, I have stumbled across DELEGATE. And, without knowing in the
slightest what I am doing, have managed to use it instead of PRIVOXY.
So, whatever the following does, it seems to work (browser calls
PROXOMITRON (8118), which calls DELEGATED (8338) which calls TOR (9050)) :

-P8338 -r  CONNECT=socks SOCKS="127.0.0.1:9050/-4-r"
HTTPCONF=kill-qhead:via ADMIN=hunoz@anytime..

Apparently, PROXOMITRON will fire anything it receives (and doesn't want
to play with) to the next in chain (to the surprise of all, including
its author) as well as filtering the HTTP(S) material.

On occasion, TOR will complain that it got a 'resolved' URL, but I think
this is from a few web-sites that have 'pre-resolved' (self-referential)
addresses in their HTML.  FTP through the browser also appears to be
correctly resolved from the far end of the TOR chain.

Flush with this seeming victory (although I may easily be living in a
fool's paradise), could things be taken to the logical conclusion where
DELEGATE would be a Windows-wide 'gateway' to TOR (supplanting the
direct link established by my ISPs DHCP)? I try to think about it (and
pseudo-NICs by means of LOOPBACK adapters, and local DNS server/filters
such as DNSKong), but my mind simply goes into a tail-spin of recursion.

But if it could be done, one could, I believe, have total anonymity on
the Internet, without regard to application.