Article delegate-en/2344 of [1-5169] on the server localhost:119
Newsgroups: mail-lists.delegate-en

[DeleGate-En] Re: DeleGate as APOP-to-POP proxy?
15 Jul 2003 22:32:20 GMT feedback@delegate.org (Yutaka Sato)

you <pe4eqbdyi-pswtoc2amstr.ml@ml.delegate.org> wrote:
 |Hi, is there a way to set up DeleGate as a POP3 proxy so clients will
 |connect using APOP and DeleGate then translates the connection to our
 |POP3 server, which doesn't know APOP, just plain POP3 USER/PASS?

There is no way to do so.  Inherently, APOP needs original text of password
to work thus it is difficult and dangerous to maintain such password by
proxy and/or to share password database with server.

I feel that APOP is already almost obsolete.  Protecting only password with
APOP but transferring messages without encryption seems too dangerous.
So I recommend you to use POP over SSL.  If your client or server does not
support POP over SSL, you can use DeleGate to wrap bare POP with SSL using
SSLway. <URL:http://www.delegate.org/delegate/ssl/>