Article delegate-en/1239 of [1-5169] on the server localhost:119

Newsgroups: mail-lists.delegate-en

[DeleGate-En] Updating Delegate-based Translating Proxy Problems
16 Jul 2001 03:39:36 GMT pzmbabdyi-bfkmicaiab3r.ml@ml.delegate.org

Mr Yutako Sato:

For a long time, I have been using Delegate as a Translating Proxy, in order to
allow a small community of Sony MagicLink users to continue to use the World
Wide Web.  The big problem with the MagicLink Browser, called PrestoLinks, is
that it will stop receiving data from a website where the webserver (correctly)
identifies itself as supporting HTTP/1.1.

I set this up when Delegate 5.9.2 was the latest version (a while back to be sure)
The command line I use to start delegate is as follows:  (pardon the line wraps)

delegated -P7450 FFROMSV="sed 1,2s/1.1/1.0/1" SERVER=http PERMIT="http:*:*" FTOCL="/home/derek/filt.cfi" VARDIR="/home/derek/logs/" OWNER=derek/derek EXPIRE=30m CRON="0 3 * * * -expire3" AUTH="manager:*:derek@xxxxxxxxxxx"

The FFROMSV calls sed externally, which will change any reference from HTTP/1.1
in an answer from a remote server to HTTP/1.0, fooling the silly PrestoLinks
browser into continuing to operate.  This has worked well for a number of years.

By the way, the FTOCL call to filt.cfi provides functions like changing frameset
references to links, and massaging graphics to allow better display on
the Magic Link PDAs.

I would like to upgrade the delegate version to 7.3.5. The above command line
did not work with 7.3.5 - no reply ever comes back to the browser, and the
external call to sed never exits (I can see sed in the process list for a
loooooooong time).

I've tried using the newer sed functionality built into the new CFI handler in
Delegate, but I have not been sucessful.

Can you advise me on the best way to translate the 'HTML/1.1' http header
to always read 'HTTP/1.0' in delegate 7.3.5?

again, an example of what needs to happen, using curl to show the headers:

An example not using the proxy:

[C:\]curl -I http://slashdot.com
HTTP/1.1 200 OK
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2001 03:34:41 GMT
Server: Apache/1.3.12 (Unix) mod_perl/1.24
Connection: close

With the proxy:

[C:\]curl -x mydelegateproxy:7450 -I http://slashdot.com
HTTP/1.0 200 OK
DeleGate-Ver: 5.9.2 (delay=1)
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2001 03:34:26 GMT
Server: Apache/1.3.12 (Unix) mod_perl/1.24
Via: 1.0 ics (ICS 1.2.114)
Via: 1.0 - (DeleGate/5.9.2)

Thanks!

-Derek
|  Derek J Decker        pzmbabdyi-bfkmicaiab3r.ml@ml.delegate.org            Decker Automation    |
|                     Tel/Fax: 000/000-0006          585 Winterhill Lane  |
|             http://www.iglou.com/DeckerAutomation  Lexington, KY 40509  |